Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Let Fury Have the Hour

On January 23rd Canada went to the polls for the second time in as many years. Although I did vote (at the advance polls) it was the first election that I've actually seriously considered abstaining from. This election seemed even more useless than the previous one; a huge waste of time, money and energy.

Our electoral system is deeply flawed. A political party can win a "majority" government with only 40% of the popular vote. It's no wonder that voters are increasingly becoming despondent and alienated from politics. Our politicians want to encourage the youth vote. But why should we vote when we have no means of ensuring our voice is adequately (or even mildly) represented on Parliament Hill?

Canada needs a radical overhaul of it's political system. We need to install a form of Proportional Representation like most of the rest of the civilized world. And as far as I'm concerned, the sooner the better.

So what does this all have to do with a sculpture on Parliament Hill?

At the start of this useless election I decided I should put up a sign outside my flat in centretown Ottawa. The sign had to represent my distain for all of the major parties and the sham of an electoral system they function under.

This blog represents the process of creating my sign/sculpture, which took place on Election night.

Scroll to the bottom and read each post to see the process in proper order.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home